Fargesia Jiuzhaigou (bamboo)
Fargesia Jiuzhaigou, the red bamboo, is a non-invasive, winter hardy bamboo species that looks great in your garden as a hedge. The stems slowly turns from green to yellow-orange in the sun and eventually turn into a deep red color. A wonderful phenomenon. Because of this, but also because of the calmness of the rustling leaves in the wind, it is a must to choose the Fargesia Jiuzhaigou.
Fargesia Jiuzhaigou (bamboo)
This bamboo species grows very quickly and your hedge will be high in no time. What does that mean? Privacy is assured. You do not have to be afraid of shoots in the ground. Your pond, your paving or your neighbors' are completely safe. The leaves can curl and discolor in winter; don't worry, new ones will grow again in the spring. The Fargesia Jiuzhaigou can reach a height of 2 meters to 3 meters. Totally dependent on how much and how often you prune it, of course.
Non-invasive bamboo Jiuzhaigou
These non-invasive bamboo plants from the mountains of China can be recognized by the fairly thin culms and the fine leaves. A number of bamboo species are winter hardy. That is necessary here in Western Europe. The Fargesia Jiuzhaigou bamboo is a welcome guest in gardens, but certainly also in parks.
Why choose a red bamboo hedge?
- The Fargesia Jiuzhaigou is a beautiful plant, especially because of the beautiful yellow and red color later in the season.
- The plant is non-invasive and grows quickly. You will therefore have a full hedge very quickly.
- Because the plant grows quickly, you won't be bothered by prying eyes in no time.
- You don't necessarily need to prune the plant, but if you wish, you can prune it twice a year.
- The bamboo plant is winter hardy.
- It is very strong and will last a lifetime.
- The plant fits in every garden and every home.
- You will become calm just by the sight of it, but especially if you can enjoy it in the garden. It is also often combined with water features or a Buddha statue. To become completely "zen".
When is the best time to plant a bamboo Fargesia Jiuzhaigou?
Plant your Fargesia Jiuzhaigou from late February / early March to late autumn. If you really do this late in the autumn, make sure to provide good protection for the roots in the form of leaves or a few handfuls of straw.
How do you plant a Fargesia Jiuzhaigou bamboo hedge?
- Remove weeds from the area where the bamboo will be growing.
- Dig a large trench. For convenience, stretch a rope before digging.
- Loosen the soil in the trench.
- Mix the loose soil in the trench with garden compost.
- Place the bamboo in the pots next to the slot where you want them. Satisfied with the distribution? Then remove the pots and dip the root ball in water and then put them in the trench.
- Make sure the top of the root ball is level with the ground level.
- Fill the trench with soil and press down well.
- Water the plants a lot for the first time. If it does not or hardly rains, you should repeat this regularly. It is important that the roots do not dry out.
It is better to give a lot of water at once than a little bit of water every day.
You cannot create a narrow or low hedge with the Fargesia Jiuzhaigou. It is best to buy another hedge plant for this.
In principle, the bamboo thrives in any soil type, but it is sensitive to wind. The hedge plant is best placed in a place where it is protected from the north and east wind.
Provide well-drained, humus-rich soil.
- The bamboo likes to be in full sun or partial sun.
- Buy 1 plant per linear meter or 3 plants per 2 meter. If your yield is low, take 2 bamboo plants per meter.
- Plant the bamboo Jiuzhaigou slightly lower than the surrounding soil.
Advice & Care
- It is best to prune the Fargesia Jiuzhaigou in the months of May or June.
- The plants like soil rich in humus. Before you put the bamboo in the ground, you must therefore prepare the soil well with garden compost. Give it organic fertilizers every now and then.
- Watering is extremely important with a newly planted bamboo. Make sure the root ball goes into the soil soaking wet. Is little rain to be expected? Then water the plants regularly.
Treating known bamboo diseases
The Fargesia Jiuzhaigou is a strong plant. He is known for his good health. He has little or no trouble with (fungal) diseases and vermin.
Advantages and disadvantages of the Fargesia Jiuzhaigou bamboo
- You can prune the plant well. You don't have to. You can also let it do his thing.
- You can plant it in any soil. He's not really picky.
- The location is also not that important, as long as it is in the sun or partial sun.
- The plant is not or hardly susceptible to diseases and pests. That's lucky.
- The bamboo is a strong plant and will therefore last a lifetime.
- It doesn't work well in the north and east wind. Protect it from that.
- Give it enough water, but not too much. He doesn't like wet feet.
- You can only create wide, somewhat higher hedges, not narrow or low.
A bamboo is a beautiful plant anyway, but the beautiful red color gives this Fargesia Jiuzhaigou something extra. Moreover, the plant can be combined well with various plants and flowers in your garden. A non-invasive, winter hardy bamboo plant in your garden is a real asset.
Are you convinced and are you going to buy a bamboo hedge? Then place your order. This way you will recieve the plants quickly and you can fully enjoy them. Do you have any questions? Feel free to ask us.