Ilex Meserveae Heckenpracht (Holly Heckenpracht)
The Ilex Meserveae Heckenpracht (Ilex X Meserveae Heckenpracht) is especially popular because of its colors. In spring, the new leaves are a beautiful bronze color. They change to dark green. Secondly, it is very popular because of its beautiful, straight growth form. This makes it a very stylish hedge. And a welcome guest in gardens. That is why it is called Heckenpracht, which is German for "hedge beauty".
Ilex Meserveae Heckenpracht (Ilex Heckenpracht)
The evergreen, winter hardy holly Heckenpracht certainly attracts attention among all your other plants, even if it does not grow very high: around 1.5 to 2.5 meters. It fits in every garden. From very tight to informal. In the latter gardens it brings some structure. Although its relatives all have red berries, the Ilex Meserveae Heckenpracht does not.
The holly Heckenpracht grows all over Europe and therefore also grows well in our region.
Why choose a hedge from Ilex Heckenpracht?
- The Ilex X Meserveae Heckenpracht has a beautiful appearance.
- The plant is strong.
- This holly is winter hardy.
- You can create a very sleek, formal hedge for this plant.
- It stays green all year round.
- The Ilex Heckenpracht is very striking because the new leaves have a nice bronze color in spring. Over time, they turn dark green.
- You can create high (up to 2 meters) and low hedges.
- The hedge plant blooms in May and June and then i twill alsoget white, nice smelling flowers. These attract bees and butterflie. Always a welcome sight.
- Maintaining this hedge plant is easy. Only because of the spiky leaves it will be a bit more difficult. Our advice: put on gloves and a sweater or shirt with long sleeves before you start pruning.
When is the best time to plant the Ilex Meserveae Heckenpracht hedge?
It is best to plant this Ilex Meserveae Heckenpracht between September and May. But stay away from freezing tempratures.
How do you plant an Ilex X Meserveae Heckenpracht?
- Remove the weeds from the area where you plan to plant it. This is important, because the plant desperately needs the moisture and nutrients.
- Dig a trench that is at least 35 cm wide and 50 cm deep. Stretch a rope between two sticks, this will ensure you have a straight hedge.
- Put a little potting compost in the trench.
- Put some of the excavated soil on the potting soil. The roots like the loose soil.
- Place the hedge plants along the trench where you want them to be positioned.
- Satisfied with the distribution? Place the Ilex Meserveae Heckenpracht upright and in the center of the trench.
- Fill the trench with soil and press firmly.
- Water the plants sufficiently. Do this until they take effect.
You can place the Ilex Meserveae Heckenpracht hedge virtually anywhere. It thrives in sun, partial shade or shade.
Plant the hedge in nutritious, slightly acidic soil.
It likes slightly moist soil. Water twice a week in warm periods without rain. Be careful you don’t give too much water, because you don't want the roots to rot.
This holly hedge grows to a maximum height of 2.5 meters. Leave enough space between the plants for them to thrive.
Take about three to five pieces per linear meter.
The Ilex Heckenpracht grows only 15 to 20 cm annually. So you will not have to prune it often. That is an advantage, but on the other hand you have to be patient. It will take some time before you have a high and dense hedge.
Advice & Care
- Water the Ilex Meserveae Heckenpracht enough. Note: it does not like too much water.
- Prune it once a year. Do you want a narrow hedge? Then we recommend that you prune it twice a year, preferably in April and September.
- Prune with sharp pruning shears.
- Prune when it is cloudy. Not in direct sunlight, because there is a chance the leaves will burn.
- Our advice: before pruning, wear gloves and protective clothing (long shirt or sweater) as the leaves are pretty sharp.
- Fertilize the holly Heckenpracht in the spring with special hedge fertilizer. To ensure it stays healthy and strong. It will grow better because of this. You also prevent it from getting sick or being visited by pests.
Treating known disorders of the Ilex Meserveae Heckenpracht
The Ilex Heckenpracht is a strong and healthy plant. It is not susceptible to (fungal) diseases or pests if you give it fertilizer annually.
Advantages and disadvantages of the Ilex X Meserveae Heckenpracht
- The hedge plant grows in any soil type.
- It does well in the sun, in the shade or partial shade.
- The plant can withstand the cold.
- It is evergreen.
- Before the new leaves turn green, it has beautiful bronze-colored leaves.
- The flowers in spring attract butterflies and bees. A sight to behold.
- You can prune this hedge rigorously. It doesn't mind.
- The spiky leaves prevent uninvited people and animals from entering your garden.
- Patience is important with this plant. It does not grow quickly, so it takes a while for the hedge to be tall and dense.
- The leaves of this holly are poisonous. Be careful with small children and pets.
- The maintenance is not difficult in itself, but it can be difficult due to the spiky leaves. However, if you wear gloves and protective clothing, you will be fine.
A stylish hedge that has beautiful colors, first bronze at first dark green after that. The white flowers in May and June provide a lot of fun, especially because they attract bees and butterflies. A strong plant that keeps uninvited guests out of the garden. An ideal hedge plant also for your garden.
Convinced? Order these beautiful hedge plants. If you have any questions? Don't hesitate to ask them.