Ilex Crenata Blondie (Japanese holly)
The Japanese holly llex Crenata Blondie is a very popular hedge plant. It is winter hardy and evergreen. It is also a good boxwood substitute, as it is resistant to the boxwood caterpillar and boxwood moth. What else could you want? And the name Blondie suggests it also looks beautiful with its beautiful golden yellow glow. This Japanese Holly Blondie gives your garden a little extra.
Ilex Crenata Blondie (Ilex Blondie)
It is a fine hedge plant that you can also enjoy in winter. It never turns brown, it always stays fresh green. Contrary to what crenata (serrated) suggests, the Ilex Crenata Blondie has oval, smooth leaves that resemble those of the boxwood. The evergreen leaves are egg shaped to elliptical and turn light green in spring. In summer the leaves are bright green. This plant blooms in May and June. White flowers will appear that give off a nice scent. In the autumn, inconspicuous black currants appear on the branches. Birds, butterflies and bees will love the Ilex Blondie.
This hedge plant originates from Japan and China, which is why it is sometimes called Chinese holly. But it has also been found in Europe and other parts of the world. This Japanese holly is seen as the perfect hedge plant around the world. A nice alternative to the boxwood.
Why choose a hedge made of Japanese Holly Blondie?
- The Ilex Crenata hedge plants are all beautiful, but the Ilex Crenata Blondie goes the extra mile with its beautiful golden yellow glow.
- In May and June, the plant has white flowers that smell nice. The flowers and the black currants attract bees, birds and butterflies.A lot of fun in your garden.
- As mentioned, this plant can withstand very cold temperatures.
- It stays green in winter. No dry leaves, always a fresh appearance.
- If you are looking for an alternative to the boxwood, use this as a hedge plant. It is beautiful, resembles the boxwood and is resistant to the boxwood caterpillar and boxwood moth. Can’t get better then this
- Would you like to create a low or a high hedge in the middle of the garden purely for decoration? Or are you going to use it as a partition? Both are possible, it is suitable for anything.
- It can grow up to 3.5 meters high. You don’t have to let it grow though. You can also create a low hedge with the Ilex Crenata Blondie.
- The plant requires low maintenance, this makes your life a lot easier.
- Do you like a tight hedge? This plant is very suitable for that.
When is the best time to plant the hedge?
The Ilex Blondie is best planted between the months of September and May. It might make sense, but we still want to mention: never plant when it is freezing.
How do you plant a Japanese Holly Blondie hedge?
- Remove the weeds from the soil where the hedge will be. It desperately needs the moisture and nutrients.
- Dig a trench that is not that deep. Stretch a rope between two sticks beforehand to ensure that you place the plants in a straight line.
- Put some potting compost into the trench for a good start for the hedge plants.
- Put a little bit of the excavated soil on the potting soil. The roots like that loose, well-drained soil.
- Place the plants along the trench where you want to plant them.
- Are you satisfied with the distribution? Place the Ilex Crenata Blondie in the trench. Make sure to place the plants upright in the center. A crooked hedge is not a great sight.
- Fill the trench with soil and press firmly.
- Water the plants sufficiently. Keep doing that until they take effect.
The hedge prefers to be in the sun or partial shade.
Avoid calcareous soil. This plant doesn't like that at all. It is slightly acidic soil that it thrives in.
It likes to stand with his "feet" in slightly moist soil. Water twice a week during dry, warm periods. Not too much, because the roots can rot if the soil is very wet.
This Japanese holly can grow up to 3.5 meters high. Give the plants enough room to grow.
You need between three to five plants per linear meter, depending on the size.
The plants grow on average about 40 cm per year.
Advice & Care
- Give the plants enough water, but not too much. It does not like to be in soaking wet soil.
- Fertilize the Japanese holly every spring. Use an environmentally friendly organic fertilizer for this. The nutrients of this fertilizer are slowly released to the roots. This way the hedge plant never gets too much fertilizer. In any case, we prefer the organic fertilizer to the chemical fertilizer. With the latter, the plant gets all the nutrients at once, which it cannot absorb. The result: a lot is lost during rain.
- Prune the Ilex Crenata Blondie twice a year between May and September with sharp pruning shears. Do this in cloudy weather. Direct sunlight can burn the leaves.
Treating known conditions
The Ilex Crenata Blondie is not known to be susceptible to (fungal) diseases or pests. It is a strong, healthy plant.
Advantages and disadvantages of the Ilex Crenata Blondie
- The Japanese holly hedge remains green in winter. So you always have a beautiful view.
- The plant is winter hardy. You don't have to worry about it in winter.
- It is easy to prune. Topiary pruning is also possible.
- The hedge is very compact and dense. This means your privacy is ensured.
- It is a perfect alternative to boxwood. Also in appearance.
- You will enjoy it for many years.
- Take your pick: a high hedge of up to 3.5 meters or a small, graceful hedge or somewhere in between. Everything is possible with this Ilex Crenata Blondie.
- The plant grows faster than the boxwood. Therefor you will have to prune more often.
- He cannot stand wet "feet". Do not give the Ilex Blondie too little, but certainly not too much water.
- The plant does not like calcareous soil, it likes acidic soil.
- The berries are poisonous. Take this into account with small children and pets.
The Ilex Crenata Blondie is an ideal hedge plant if you like beautiful, tight hedges. With a beautiful appearance due to the beautiful, golden yellow glow. This plant is very easy to maintain. In addition, it is always green. And it is a good replacement for the boxwood.
Convinced? Place your order now. Do you have any questions? Ask us.