Ilex Crenata Dark Green (Japanese holly)
The Ilex Crenata Dark Green is a densely branched shrub which give you a beaitiful and narrow hedge. The plant is green all year round and is winter hardy. The oval leaves start out a fresh green in color and gradually turn a darker green. You can create hedges of around 2 to 3 meters with this plant.
Ilex Crenata Dark Green (Ilex Dark Green)
Do not be afraid that the Ilex Dark Green will lose leaves or become arid in winter, it is green all year round. You can use it as a partition between yours and your neighbors’ garden. This hedge plant is also beautiful as an ornamental hedge in the middle of your garden or along a path. The Japanese holly Dark Green is completely unaffected by the boxwood moth or boxwood caterpillar, so it is a good alternative to the boxwood. In May and June it blooms with white, nice smelling flowers. In autumn, the plant exchanges the flowers for inconspicuous black currants. This will bring a lot of life to your garden, because birds, butterflies and bees love these flowers and currants.
The plant originated in Japan and Korea. But it has also been doing well in other parts of the world, including Europe, for many years now. Therefor, the Japanese holly is a welcome "guest" here.
Why choose a Japanese Holly Dark Green hedge?
- The Ilex Dark Green is a beautiful plant to behold.
- It is winter hardy and remains green in winter.
- The hedge plant is very easy to maintain.
- It is a good alternative for the boxwood, which suffers from the boxwood moth and boxwood caterpillar.
- You can use the hedge as a fence between yours and the neighbors’ garden, but also as an ornamental hedge.
- With this hedge you can go around 2 to 3 meters high, but you can also keep it low or or everything in between.
- It is easy to prune. You can also create special shapes.
When is the best time to plant the hedge?
It is best to plant the hedge between the months of September and May. But of course not when it is freezing.
How do you plant a Japanese Holly Dark Green?
- Remove weeds from the soil in which it will grow. The plant can make good use of the moisture and nutrients.
- Dig a trench that is not too deep. To get a straight trench, stretch a rope between two sticks.
- Put a little potting compost in the trench. To give the plant a good start, minerals and nutrients are more than welcome.
- Put some of the excavated soil on the potting soil. The roots like the well-drained soil .
- Place the Ilex Crenata Dark Green hedge plants along the trench where you want to plant them.
- Are you satisfied with the distribution? Then you can place the plants in the trench. If you want a streight hedge, place them upright and in the middle of the slot.
- Fill the trench with soil and press firmly.
- Water the plants thoroughly. And keep doing this until the plants have taken root.
The plant does well in almost any soil type, except for calcareous soil. It does like acidic soil however, keep that in mind.
The hedge plant likes to be in the sun or in partial shade.
The Ilex Crenata Dark Green prefers to be in slightly moist soil. Water well twice a week in dry, warm periods. Be careful giving it too much water, this can cause the roots to rot.
The Japanese holly can grow up to 2 meters or 3 meters high. So it is important that the individual plants have enough space to grow.
Plant about three to five plants per linear meter.
The Ilex Dark Green grows about 30 cm annually.
Advice & Care
- Provide sufficient water, but make sure the soil is not too wet.
- Give it eco-friendly organic fertilizer every spring. The nutrients of this fertilizer are released slowly. This way it never gets too much. We prefer the organic fertilizer to the chemical fertilizer. With the latter, the roots receive all the nutrients at once and that they cannot absorb it. So a lot will flow away when it’s raining.
- Twice a year between May and September, prune the Ilex Crenata Dark Green with sharp pruning shears. Do not do this direct sunlight, but preferably in cloudy weather. The leaves can get burned by the sun.
Treating known conditions
The Japanese holly is a strong hedge plant. It is known for his good health. It is not bothered by (fungal) diseases and pests.
Advantages and disadvantages of the Ilex Crenata Dark Green
- The Japanese holly hedge remains green in winter.
- The plant is winter hardy.
- The compact growth form and dense branching give you a hedge that offers you a lot of privacy.
- It is easy to prune.
- It is an ideal boxwood substitute.
- You will enjoy this hedge for many years.
- With the Ilex Dark Green you create low hedges, high hedges up to about 3 meters and everything in between.
- The plant grows slightly faster than the boxwood. So you will have to prune more often.
- The hedge does not like wet 'feet'. Do not water the hedge too little, but certainly not too much.
- The Ilex Crenata Dark Green likes acidic soil in contrast to the boxwood, which likes limy soil.
- The currants of the hedge plant are poisonous. Keep this in mind if you have small children and / or pets.
Are you looking for a beautiful hedge that is narrow, winter hardy, easy to maintain and has beautiful light green and later dark green leaves? Then the Ilex Crenata Dark Green is the ideal hedge plant for you. You can easily create low, elegant hedges or high hedges that block your garden from your neighbors’ - and vice versa.
Convinced? Order now. Do you have any questions? Please contact Haagplanten Heijnen.