Ilex Crenata Green Hedge (Japanese holly)
If you are looking for a winter hardy, evergreen hedge plant with graceful, small and shiny leaves, which is also resistant to the boxwood moth? Then the Ilex Crenata Green Hedge, or the Japanese holly Green Hedge, is very suitable. With the branches that grow and stand up straight, you get a nice, tight hedge as a partition or a hedge for decoration.
Ilex Crenata Green Hedge (Japanese Holly Green Hedge)
You can also enjoy this popular Japanese holly in winter. It lives up to its name and always remains green. It is a good alternative to the boxwood, which has suffered a lot from the boxwood moth and boxwood caterpillar in recent years. With the Ilex Crenata Green Hedge you don't have to worry about that. This plant blooms in May and June. Lovely white flowers appear that smell good and attract butterflies and bees. Black currants will arrive in the autumn. You can hardly see them yourself, but birds love them.
The Japanese holly Green Hedge comes from Japan and Korea. For many years it can also be admired in other parts of the world. In Europa aswell. Because it is suitable as a hedge plant, it is also very popular here.
Why choose a Japanese holly hedge?
- First of all, it is just a beautiful plant.
- The Ilex Crenata Green Hedge is winter hardy.
- The plant also remains green in winter.
- It is perfect to use as a boxwood substitute.
- The Ilex Green Hedge is easy to maintain.
- Create the hedge exactly how you like it: as a low decorative hedge, as a fence or anything in between.
- You can keep this plant very tight, but you can also let it grow wild. Whatever you like. If you want to keep it tight, pruning twice a year is recommended.
When is the best time to plant the hedge?
The best time to plant this hedge is between September and May. You cannot plant it when it is freezing outside.
How do you plant an Ilex Crenata Green Hedge hedge?
- Make sure that the ground where the hedge will be placed is completely free of weeds. The plant needs the moisture and nutrients for itself.
- Dig a shallow trench. As straight as possible. Tip: stretch a rope before digging.
- Add some potting compost to the trench for a good start.
- Put some of the excavated soil on top of the potting soil. This way the roots are on loose, well-drained soil. They like that very much.
- Place the Ilex Crenata Green Hedge along the trench where you want to plant it.
- Satisfied with the distribution? Place the hedge plants upright and in the middle of the trench. If you do not do this, your hedge will grow crooked. You cannot solve that with pruning.
- Fill the trench with soil. Press it down well.
- Then give the hedge enough water. And keep doing this until the hedge takes hold.
Place the hedge in the sun or in partial shade.
The Japanese Holly Green Hedge likes to be in moist soil. In warm periods with little rainfall, give it water twice a week. But don't give it too much water either, then the roots will rot.
Boxwood plants like calcareous soil, but the Japanese holly doesn't like that. It likes acidic soil.
The Ilex Crenata Green Hedge can grow up to 2 meters high. It is important that the plants have enough space.
You should place between three to five plants per linear meter.
The plants grow around 25 cm to 30 cm per year.
Advice & Care
- Water the hedge sufficiently, but as mentioned: make sure it is not in soaking wet soil.
- Fertilize it every spring with an environmentally friendly organic fertilizer. The nutrients are released a little at a time so the roots never get too much at once. We prefer organic fertilizer to chemical fertilizer. With the latter, the roots get all the nutrients at once. It is impossible for the plant to absorb these at the same time. So a it washes away when it rains.
- Prune the Ilex Crenata Green Hedge twice a year between May and September with sharp pruning shears. Tip: do this in cloudy weather and not in full sunlight. The sun can burn the leaves. That would be a shame.
Treating known conditions
It has little or no trouble with (fungal) diseases and vermin. The Ilex Crenata Green Hedge is known for its good health.
Advantages and disadvantages of the Ilex Crenata Green Hedge
- The hedge remains green for 365 days.
- This plant also survives in winter. You don't have to worry about that.
- It is easy to prune. As a hedge or in a special shape.
- If you like privacy, it's perfect. Due to the compact growth form and dense branching, no one can see through the hedge. Not you, and neither can your neighbors.
- This Japanese holly is a perfect alternative to boxwood.
- You will enjoy this hedge for many years to come.
- You can create low, high (up to 2 meters) or medium hedges.
- The Ilex Crenata Green Hedge does not like wet "feet". Do not water the hedge too little, but certainly not too much.
- It likes acidic soil. It does not thrive in calcareous soil, opposed to the boxwood plant.
- The currants of the plant are poisonous. So be careful with small children and pets.
The Ilex Crenata Green Hedge is a winter hardy, evergreen hedge plant with graceful, small and shiny leaves. A beautiful plant that also serves well as a replacement for the boxwood. It is however not susceptible to the boxwood moth or boxwood caterpillar. With the Ilex Green Hedge you can create a sleek ornamental hedge in the middle of the garden or a high hedge as a partition between you and your neighbors.
Is this the hedge you want? Place an order now. Are you unsure or do you have any questions? Please feel free to contact Haagplanten Heijnen.