Ilex meservae Heckenfee
Ilex meservae Heckenfee is a small, bushy shrub that grows to 4 meters. The plants have purple-black stems and spiny dark green leaves. Since this is the female form, it produces plenty of bright red berries with the male form close by.
This is a long-term hedging plant with all-year-round interest. It is also hardy and the dark appearance contrasts other shrubs. It is certainly a good choice for an all-year-round structure.
Care & Advice
- Watering-Ilex meserveae Heckenfee should be watered moderately. So make sure that the plants have just the right amount of moisture. Water weekly during the drought season.
- Mulch- Apply a thin layer of mulch to avert freeze-thaw from damaging the shallow roots. Apply mulch in a small ring around the plant, but away from the trunk to avoid bark decay.
- Fertilizer-Feed with fertilizer in fall and spring to keep the plants healthy.
- Pruning -Ilex meserveae Heckenfee responds well to pruning and make beautiful hedges. You can correct bare spots which are caused by over-shearing by making deeper pruning cuts occasionally to allow enough light to penetrate.
- Be careful when pruning these hedging plants because when you completely remove a stem or branch, it may not grow back. The best time to prune Ilex meserveae Heckenfee is in early spring before new growth starts appearing.