Ligustrum Vulgare Atrovirens (Privet Atrovirens)
The Ligustrum Vulgare Atrovirens is of the privet family the one with which you have the best chance of green leaves for 365 days. Atrovirens means "always green". With its narrow, elongated green leaves, it gives a soft appearance to your hedge. The plant is strong and hardy. It is undemanding, not in terms of its location, not in pruning, in anything really.
You can create low to medium hedges from Privet Atrovirens, up to a maximum height of 2.5 meters. It blooms beautifully with white flowers that also smell nice. When the flowers have disappeared, black currants appear. If you prune it regularly, the Ligustrum Vulgare Atrovirens will not get flowers or berries.
When is the best time to plant a privet hedge?
You can put the Ligustrum Vulgare Atrovirens in the ground for 365 days, but winter is preferred. Of course not when it is freezing.
The Ligustrum Vulgare Atrovirens grows in principle in any location, just not so well in the shade.
The plants like moist soil. Find the happy medium, because too wet is not good either.
Cover the roots well with soil to protect them from direct sunlight.
Advice & Care
- Water the plant enough, but not too much.
- Prune the privet between May and September. Would you like a tight hedge? Then you will have to prune it at least twice a year.
- Prune with a hedge trimmer that is sharp.
- Do not prune when it is sunny, but rather when it is cloudy. Then the leaf does not burn.
- It is best not to prune after the end of September. Let it recover before winter sets in.
- Fertilize twice a year. Result: better growth, roots do not go far in search of nutrition and you prevent diseases. There is special hedge fertilizer for this, but compost or garden peat are also fine.
With its narrow, elongated green leaves, the Ligustrum Vulgare Atrovirens gives a soft appearance to your hedge. The hardy and evergreen hedge is undemanding. You can plant it almost anywhere and its care is not difficult at all. A super fine and beautiful hedge to have in your garden.