Ligustrum Vulgare (Common Privet)
The Ligustrum Vulgare is a strong hedge plant. The common privet, as it is also called, with its narrow, elongated green leaves creates a beautiful, graceful hedge in your garden. The winter hardy Ligustrum grows quite quickly. If you want a person-sized hedge (up to a maximum of 2.5 meters), it will grow high and opaque quickly. You can also use the Ligustrum Vulgare as a low hedge.
We call this plant semi-evergreen. Which means that it sheds its leaves in severe frost. In less severe winters, the privet will keep its leaves until spring. Then they fall out and new leaves will appear immediately. The common or wild privet is very easy to maintain. The position in where you place the plant is not an issue. And pruning is easy. In the spring the plant gets beautiful, nice smelling flowers. After that, black currants appear. However, if you prune it regularly, the Ligustrum Vulgare will not develop flowers or berries.
When is the best time to plant a common privet hedge?
The Ligustrum Vulgare can be planted all year round. However, winter is the best time for planting. But you have to make sure there are no freezing temperatures.
The Ligustrum Vulgare grows everywhere, but it does not do that well in the shade. Keep in mind.
The plants like moist soil, but it shouldn't be too wet either.
You should cover the roots, they cannot withstand direct sunlight.
Advice & Care
- Water the Common Privet sufficiently, but not too much.
- Pruning is done between May and September. Do you want to keep the hedge tight? Prune it at least twice a year.
- Prune with a sharp hedge trimmer.
- Prune in cloudy weather. Never in direct sunlight, because then the leaves can burn.
- We recommend no more pruning after the end of September. The plant can recover before winter begins.
- Fertilize the plant once every six months. This makes it grow better, the roots do not look for nutrients in the rest of the garden and you prevent diseases. You can use special hedge fertilizer, but you can also use compost or garden peats.
The Ligustrum Vulgare looks great in your garden. It is a grows quickly so you will have some privacy in no time. The strong and winter hardy hedge is a welcome guest in gardens, mainly because it is easy to maintain, but also because of the beautiful, nice smelling flowers and the countless butterflies and bees that they attract.